OR WAIT null SECS
May 27, the Friday before Memorial Day, has been designated as ?Don't Fry Day? by the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention. Prevent Blindness America (PBA) and The Vision Council are voicing their support for the day, as part of Ultraviolet Awareness Month in May.
Chicago and Alexandria, VA-May 27, the Friday before Memorial Day, has been designated as ‘Don't Fry Day’ by the National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention. Prevent Blindness America (PBA) and The Vision Council are voicing their support for the day, as part of Ultraviolet Awareness Month in May.
The Vision Council and PBA remind ophthalmologists to educate patients about their importance of protecting their eyes from ultraviolet (UV) radiation. According to the two associations, wearing sunglasses or other eyewear that offers UV protection is the best way to shield the eyes from the sun. They recommend that consumers consider the following tips when choosing a pair of sunglasses:
• Buy from a reputable retailer. Their products will meet frame and lens quality criteria set by the American National Standards Institute.
• Look for UV protection. Sunglasses should filter both UVA and UVB light.
• Try the sunglasses on. Fit and feel make a difference because sunglasses that are uncomfortable are less likely to worn.
• Use multiple pairs. Different lenses and frames may be suited to various types of outdoor activities.
• Understand lens color. The darkness of a lens has nothing to do with UV protection, although various lens colors can offer other benefits. For instance, yellow- and brown-tinted lenses are recommended for water sports; gray, brown and amber for field sports; and mirror coatings for downhill skiing and snowboarding.
• Focus on design. For extra protection, choose wraparound glasses or glasses with larger temple pieces help block the sun from side angles.
PBA also offers “The UV Learning Center,” a dedicated website at www.preventblindness.org/uv that offers free information on the dangers of UV radiation, how to purchase the best sunglasses for adults and children, and other related topics.