The University of Virginia Health System offers these suggestions for contact lens wearers who use makeup:
- Always wash your hands before putting contact lenses in or taking them out.
- Keep cosmetic brushes and other tools clean.
- Invest in hypoallergenic cosmetics without fragrance, sparkle, glitter or anything else that may contain irritants such as crushed oyster shell or tinsel.
- Put lenses in first, then put on your cosmetics.
- Never wear someone else's makeup, or let anyone else borrow yours.
- Never re-use an old mascara applicator.
- Be careful to keep creams and powders out of your eyes.
- Skip makeup when your eyes are irritated, infected, swollen or red.