Wavefront-optimized LASIK achieves equal outcomes to wavefront-guided LASIK, study finds

October 17, 2005

Three- and 6-month clinical results comparing wavefront-optimized and wavefront-guided treatments with the Allegretto Wave excimer laser (WaveLight Laser Technologie AG) showed that both treatment approaches achieved nearly identical visual outcomes postoperatively, and neither treatment induced higher-order aberrations. WaveLight outlined the results of the study in a prepared statement as presented by Bill Bond, MD, of Bond Eye Associates, Pekin, IL.

Chicago-Three- and 6-month clinical results comparing wavefront-optimized and wavefront-guided treatments with the Allegretto Wave excimer laser (WaveLight Laser Technologie AG) showed that both treatment approaches achieved nearly identical visual outcomes postoperatively, and neither treatment induced higher-order aberrations. WaveLight outlined the results of the study in a prepared statement as presented by Bill Bond, MD, of Bond Eye Associates, Pekin, IL.

The prospective randomized, controlled multicenter study was initiated in September 2004 to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of wavefront-guided treatments (incorporating the Allegro wavefront analyzer) and to compare results with wavefront-optimized (standard LASIK) with the Allegretto Wave, according to WaveLight.

Myopic patients up to 7 D with up to 3 D of astigmatism were eligible to participate in the study. Approximately 82% of all patients reported postoperative visual acuity better or equal to preoperative best-corrected visual acuity and 55% of patients gained one or more lines of vision. No loss in contrast sensitivity was observed with either platform, the company said.

In addition, 81% of eyes presented with ≤ 0.3 µm of preoperative higher-order aberrations (HOAs) and achieved equivalent outcomes with either wavefront-guided or wavefront-optimized treatments. For the remaining 19% of patients presenting with significant HOAs (> 0.3 µm), HOAs were reduced slightly more with wavefront-guided treatments than with wavefront-optimized treatments. On average, neither platform was shown to induce HOAs following treatment.

In other news, the company announced the closure of the 100th Allegretto Wave excimer laser system sale in the United States.

“Reaching this milestone in less than 2 years represents WaveLight’s growing role in the U.S. refractive market,” said Wade Tetsuka, president of WaveLight Inc. “With each laser installation, WaveLight brings increasing value to the physician’s practice by introducing a new standard of care in laser vision correction.”

For more information visit WaveLight Technologie AG at Booth 3250.