Case 4 (slide 4) was characterized by diffuse herpetic central scarring and cataracts. Because the lens power was difficult to measure, I applied laser to the cornea through the scar that resulted in good clarity and a measurable cornea. This was followed by cataract surgery and implantation of a monofocal lens to achieve emmetropia. In this case, the laser corrected the previous astigmatism and cleared the cornea before cataract surgery.
In case 6 (slide 6), the patient had post-LASIK ectasia with dense central epithelial ingrowth. I lifted the LASIK flap and the epithelial ingrowth was removed. The LASIK flap was tacked down like a lamellar keratoplasty and anchored with selective topo-guided sutures. After this, the cornea was measurable and once stability was determined, cataract surgery was performed and an excellent visual outcome was achieved.
• Gulani AC. Femtosecond Laser in Refractive Lens Exchange: Surgical Treatment for Presbyopia. Wang M, ed.; Slack Inc., Thorofare, NJ); 2016;109-115.
• Gulani AC. Corneoplastique: Art of LASIK & cataract surgery. Ind J Ophthalmol 2014;62:3-11.
• Gulani AC. Evaluating the impact of femto laser-assisted capsulotomy. Cataract Refract Surg Today Europe 2014;9:36-50.
• Gulani AC. Shaping the future and reshaping the past: the art of vision surgery. Chapter 98. In: Copeland and Afshari’s Principles and Practice of Cornea. New Delhi, India: Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers, 2013;2:1252-73.
• Donnenfeld E, Gulani AC. Astigmatism correction during cataract surgery. In: Garg H, Alió JL, eds. Femtosecond Laser: Techniques and Technology. 1st ed. Miami; JayPee Highlights Medical Publishers; 2012;21:155-161.
• Gulani, AC. Vision à la carte: Designing vision. Ophthalmology Times. 2013;38:31-33.
• Gulani AC. Corneoplastique. Techniques in Ophthalmology 2007;5:11-20.